Saturday, April 10, 2010

Film Podcasts

The random films I've discussed here are not being pulled out of my ass. As a matter of fact, most have been recommended or mentioned in 2 great podcasts I listen to weekly.

Filmspotting



Chicago based podcast hosted by Adam Kempenaar and Matty Robinson. Weekly reviews, top 5 lists, and the movie marathon; where the hosts review six to eight movies from a particular genre or director that they haven't already seen. This podcast often reviews art house/lower budget films, and occasionally a Hollywood blockbuster. I've heard the term "film snobs" used to describe the guys as many of their discussions seem very academic (not surprisingly, they've taught courses at the University of Chicago). I think it's perfect for those who want to engage in deeper discussions on the craft of film making.

/Filmcast



If Filmspotting is the advanced film studies class of the podcast world, I would liken /Filmcast to a casual gathering of friends discussing favorite movies. All types of films are open for dissection and discussion, including titles such as GI Joe, Wolfman, and Jennifer's Body. The show reviews one film weekly and also covers film industry news. The hosts: David Chen, Devindra Hardawar, and Adam Quigley also discuss "what they've been watching" at the beginning of each show. A number of films I've watched recently were recommended in this portion of the show.

They're both great shows, and if you're looking for something to listen to on your commute, workout, or during house cleaning, I recommend both.


Filmspotting #299 - Mother, Chloe, Lubitsch Awards, Top 5 Actors of the Decade**

Link

/Filmcast Episode 94 - Clash of the Titans

Link


** (Mega) Props to Adam Kempenaar for including Tony Leung in his list of Top 5 Actors of the Decade. Definitely a favorite of mine.

3 comments:

MF said...

Filmspotting sounds like something i'd like, so i'm checking out the # 299 embed.

Boothe said...

Yeah, my tastes lean towards the material covered on Filmspotting, and if I had to recommend one, it would be that one. /Film I recently picked up to round out my weekly podcast listening.

Mr Bozack said...

Nice shout on filmspotting. This is filmgeek central as well - http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/197-in-the-mood-for-love