Friday, February 24, 2012

2011 Year In Film: Hugo



Contributed by: Matt (Card carrying Native Tongue expert. Film editor)

Well, apart from the instant masterpiece that was Apollo 18, I thought this was a very weak year for films. While there were a handful of things I really enjoyed - Drive and The Descendants in particular come to mind - Hugo was definitely the story I got the most swept up in. For all the escapism films pretend to provide, I feel it's a rare film that actually envelops you with a sense of wonder and Hugo did that as well as anything I've seen without forsaking an emotional core since the last Miyazaki offering. Granted, there's a bit of a masturbatory element to any film that invokes the importance of films, but I thoroughly enjoyed it from the first frame until the last.

Hugo: Trailer

No comments: