Monday, October 10, 2011

Beastie Boys - 3 Minute Rule



I'm a fan of the group, but I don't know their discography inside out. Do they have songs similar to this?

Beastie Boys - 3 Minute Rule


Three straight verses from the three MCs; no back and forth business.

They should have done this more. Perhaps they were afraid it would expose their lack of lyrical genius? Well, that's been common knowledge for a very long time, and I think it's fair to say that most of us are here for the fun, and not the education.

Also...


I'm liking this album a lot.

Though, I really wish they would stop doing the old school "yes yes y'all" type of chants. It's kinda lazy. And no more collaborations with Nas, please. Talk about a match made in hell.

6 comments:

done said...

Man. How have you gone this long without hearing Pauls Boutique?!?

Their first three albums have heaps of songs like that, the 4ths patchier but has joints too.

done said...

Actually I like Hello Nasty too but I suspect nostalgia may be clouding my judgement there.

That said, Country Mike's Greatest Hits is straight fire, fuck a critic.

Boothe said...

I've had Paul's Boutique in steady rotation since its release. It's their other albums that I'm not as familiar with.

I'll listen to them from time to time, but off the top of the head, I can't name any songs that use the 3 verse structure that this one uses.

done said...

Ah you may be right actually, the old school back n forth was a big part of their style.

Had me doubting your G there for a minute.

To be honest my 2nd favourite Beasties album is that video anthology they released. It has features like the option to play remixes on most of the songs, kind of thing if the world was just every big 80s/90s rap group would have.

The Great Gats, B said...

"People come up to me and they try and talk shit/man, I was making records when you was suckin' your mother's dick!" = top 5 lyric of all time.

Boothe said...

Amazing verse by MCA.

Also it should be noted that his Paul's Boutique era beard game was mad tight.