Monday, January 10, 2011

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Steven Spielberg, 1977)



Would it not have been great if instead of playing the five notes, the mothership played this song? That would have been "har" worthy.

I really like the ideas here, but I found the movie to be a little boring. By the time the final (and most important) sequence came on screen, I had to fight to stay awake. I think my main problem with this film is that I didn't care for the characters played by Richard Dreyfuss (annoying ass family included) or Melinda Dillion, though the latter was involved in one of the best moments in the movie. Most of the interesting scenes revolved around the scientists and others involved with trying to communicate with the visitors. The Mumbai scene in particular was great.

Didn't hate the movie, though I probably wouldn't rank it as one of my favorites from Spielberg.

Am I missing something?

Close Encounters of the Third Kind: Trailer

3 comments:

Boothe said...

I love old movie trailers.

Mo' Codenames said...

The song you hyperlinked isn't available internationally.

I love this movie as classic 70s Americana. It could've been really sappy and daft, but Dreyfuss plays the everyman who becomes increasingly obsessed so well, the finale still looks incredible, and it's one of those flicks I'll always rewatch if I happen to catch it on tv.

Boothe said...

Damn it.

It was the Jaws theme.

The finale and the abduction scene were amazing, and looked great.

Just couldn't get with Dreyfuss in this.