Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Summer Wars (Mamoru Hosoda, 2009)



The Proposal + The Celebration + Tron + Scott Pilgrim + War Games = Summer Wars?

I found a little something from all of those films contained in Hosoda's followup to his 2006 release, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. (a title I enjoyed very much)

I thought this was a solid film, though a little convoluted at times. There's some interesting animation here, especially the sequences which take place within the online world. The story deals with the importance of family (in this case a very large one), and touches on the perils of an over-reliance on technology.

I've seen and heard Miyazaki's name brought up in discussions about Hosoda, which I'm sure must flatter him. It seems like a lot of pressure though, and I hope the comparisons don't detract from the solid work he's done so far. Definitely someone to keep an eye out for in the future.

Summer Wars: Trailer

No comments: