Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Mamoru Hosada, 2006)

TIME LEAP???
Never been really big on Anime.

It's one nerd element I've never really felt the need to dive into. I've checked out the must see classics (Akira, Ninja Scroll, Ghost In The Shell), and watched some of the starter drug anime series (Macross, DBZ, Naruto). For the most part, it's been action adventure, fantasy and science fiction. Giant mechs, ninjitsu, blood, guts; you know, boys stuff.

I believe this is the first time I've watched an anime of this ilk. There's an obvious element of science fiction that drives the plot (check the title, eh), but for the most part it plays out like a teeny bop, high school drama. Tests to write, boys to fall for, rivals to fend off. The protagonist, Makoto Konna, stumbles -literally- into an object allowing her to time travel and as expected from a teenager, heedlessly uses them to solve minor problems: tests, boys and rivals.

Time travelling almost always has consequences, and Makoto soon learns that her actions may be hurting those around her. It provides for a great third act that may tug on your heartstrings if you're a big softie.

I liked this film a hell of a lot more than I expected. If it sounds like your kind of thing, it comes with my recommendation.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time: Trailer

No comments: