Saturday, August 23, 2008

A Fighter Pilot, A First Officer, And A Pop Star

Or: My First Soap Opera



Though I was exposed to a lot of The Young and the Restless as a child, the citizens of Genoa had nothing on the good people of Macross City. Robotech: The Macross Saga (a localization of The Super Dimension Fortress Macross) arrived in North America in 1985. . I recall my brothers and cousins ignoring this show (they still do), due to its mature subject matter and slow pace. In particular, I remember their disgust when watching the kissing scene. I was probably a bit shocked myself, but the show had already hooked me. There was no way gross kissing would stop me from tuning in every week. I loved every bit of this show. Well...almost every bit.

I'm about to start another Robotech Macross marathon, because I haven't watched the series in years, but to this day I am still bothered by the way the love triangle was resolved. The Reader's Digest version of the story goes like this.



  • Rick meets Minmei (I'm using the Japanese spelling because it looks cooler).
  • Rick saves Minmei's life, then falls in love with her.
  • Minmei begins working for her family's restaurant, becoming too busy for Rick.
  • Rick joins the "army" as suggested by Minmei.
  • Minmei enters (and wins) a beauty pageant, which naturally leads to a career as a pop star and a movie star (imagine that).
  • Minmei has even less time for Rick.
  • Rick sad :-(
  • Tension starts to develop between Rick and "sour puss" first officer Lisa Hayes (booo).
  • Rick and Lisa are captured by the enemy, and are forced to kiss (to save their lives of course).
  • Rick and Lisa begin to develop feelings for each other.
  • Rick is in love with two women.



Finally episode 35 comes around. Minmei is tired of the responsibilities of being a star and ends up at Rick's doorstep. They spend Christmas Eve together and the episode ends with them sharing a kiss. Finally! The moment I had waited for since episode one. At 9 years old, this thing called love finally made sense to me. If you're just patient, the girl who you love, who you're supposed to be with will eventually come around (on Christmas Eve). Everything was right in the world. Or so I thought.

Rick was called back to war and despite Minmei's pleas, he could not turn his back on his duty (or some crap like that). He also comes to the conclusion that he should be with Lisa (boo). Having the military thing in common apparently makes them better suited for each other. Minmei soon concedes. My heart breaks.

Why would Rick Hunter choose the older, sour puss, military woman, over the cute, pop star celebrity?

From that moment on, love would never make sense to me.

2 comments:

j. said...

i never realized you were a romantic.

Boothe said...

Only when it's hopeless.