Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Chase Pt. 3: or how i learned how far i would go (though not far enough) to obtain unreleased music.












Yesterday, my co-worker approaches me, asking if I've seen the ebay auction for the Tribe tape.

"The whut tape?"

"The Tribe tape. Someone is selling one of their original demo cassettes on ebay. Description, Pubic Enemy, El Segundo...and 2 unreleased tracks"

"..." (mind blown)

I tell him to send me the link immediately. Sure enough it's already over $200. As a joke, I make a posting on my Facebook page. An attempt to gather a group of people to contribute money to acquiring this cassette.


There were a few joke replies, but then my friend Ryan tells me that he's willing to go splitsies. I got an adding machine by my side, so i'm figuring out how high we should go. Ryan tells me that he's willing to spend $200. Damn...he's serious. I'm nervous about dropping that much loot, but I agree to the total. We put in our bid. Less than an hour left, and we're the high bidder.

At this point, my reservations about spending $200 on a cassette are starting to disappear. I'm actually getting excited about it. In my mind I'm making dates on my calendar for sharing the cassette, Lord Stanley styles with Ryan. I'm thinking about future blog posts, and how I would share this rare item with the hip hop nation. Basically I'm getting a little carried away.

Moments before the auction ends, I get an email saying that we've been outbid. Reality kicks in. I check the auction, and it's now closed. The winning bid? $879.99!

I told my co-worker that I had got in on the auction item, but didn't win. He laughed at me and commented that "I guess you're not really that big of a Tribe fan". Shit...not enough to go that much out of pocket.

Thanks for indulging me and my story. The most I can offer now, are snippets, pics, and the description provided in the auction. I made sure to copy it all. I tiny piece of this hip hop history is better than nothing I suppose.

I only hope that someone shares these tracks in the future.

------

MEGA RARE 1ST DEMO TAPE BY HIP HOP LEGENDS A TRIBE CALLED QUEST!!!

THIS DEMO TAPE WAS GIVEN TO A FEW DJS IN THE LATE 80'S WHILE ATCQ WERE SHOPPING THEIR WORK!! I ACQUIRED IT WHEN A PROMINENT DJ LOST HIS STORAGE UNIT AT AUCTION!! HAND DRAWN ART WORK QUITE POSSIBLY BY Q-TIP OR RED ALERT! THIS DEMO WAS RECORDED AND SHOPPED BEFORE PHIFE WAS EVEN IN THE GROUP AND RED ALERT WAS HANDLING ALL THE PRODUCTION AND MANAGEMENT! THERE IS A RUMORED DEMO THAT WAS SHOPPED TO GEFFEN RECORDS AROUND THIS TIME WITH "CAN I KICK IT?" ON THE TAPE BUT THIS DEMO DOESN'T HAVE THAT SONG ON IT!! WHICH LEADS ME TO BELIEVE IT WAS RECORDED PRIOR TO THAT!

THE DEMO HAS 5 SONGS. 3 OF THE 5 ARE PRE MIXES OF WHAT EVENTUALLY SURFACE ON "PEOPLES INSTINCTIVE PATHS" WHILE THE OTHER 2 WERE NEVER RELEASED! I HAVE PLAYED THESE FOR FRIENDS AND THE LIKE AND NO ONE I KNOW HAS EVER HEARD THESE SONGS BEFORE!!

BY PURCHASING THIS TAPE YOU DON'T OWN THE RIGHT TO ANY OF THE UNRELEASED MATERIAL AT ALL!! AS I DON'T. I JUST HAVE THE TAPE!!! CHECK OUT THE SNIPPETS! TRACK LIST IS AS FOLLOWS AND CAN BE SEEN IN THE PICTURES!!

  
Beautiful...

1) DESCRIPTION OF A FOOL
2) PUBIC ENEMY
3) NATIVE TONGUE (UNRELEASED)
4) LEFT MY WALLET IN EL SEGUNDO
5) DUST (MY PAL) (UNRELEASED)

THE TAPE ITSELF IS IN GREAT CONDITION! I HAVE PLAYED IT THROUGH AND IT IS WOUND TIGHTLY. THERE ARE NO CRACKS. IT IS HOWEVER A BLANK TAPE WITH A DEMO ON IT. IT ISN'T A MIND BLOWING AESTHETICALLY PLEASING CASSETTE BUT IT IS A PIECE OF HIP HOP HISTORY!!!



UPDATE

Q-Tip Says:

"The tribe demo on ebay is not even the 1st one. About 20-30 of those circulated. The original one w/1st bonita is the real."

"the demo is still a worthwhile purchase."

5 comments:

The Great Gats, B said...

This same dude was selling a DMX one from around 1991 too. Wonder who he is.

Boothe said...

yeah, i saw that. i think it went for about $100.

after posting this, I saw that he's been sharing a lot of his finds on the T.R.O.Y. Forum.

i hope shares the Tribe demo at some point.

S4B said...

that dude who auctioned this off sells records for a living and he looks at a lot of collections. He happened to get a chance to look at a demo collection from a guy that was in the biz so yeah..

Dave said...

The world needs to hear these songs. Tribe still has 1 album left on their contract with Jive — I'd be fine if they recorded just a few new tracks and the rest of the album could be all their old demos like this.

Boothe said...

Thanks for your comment, Dave.

I'm really disappointed (though not surprised) that the persons who sold and purchased the cassette haven't shared the songs.

Never understood the demo hording mentality.

Share the love and music!