Friday, July 31, 2009

The Sartorialist Comes To Town

Scott Schuman was in Toronto last week to promote his new book The Sartorialist, which collects his favorite photos from his blog that shares the same name.

Friends and followers know that I'm a fan of his blog, so I couldn't pass up the chance to meet the man behind the lens. Appearing at Holt Renfrew (Canada's answer to Barney's), Scott invited his fans to meet and chat with him in person.


Crowd (He's in there, somewhere)

There was quite a turnout, but despite this, Scott was very gracious. He patiently took the time to shake hands, share stories, and provide advice to fans, photographers and fashionista's alike. He treated everyone he met like an old friend.

Though the crowd was large, I did manage to get close enough to hear him speak. One thing that stood out to me was the romantic view in which he sees his work. He's not worried about trends, or what is or isn't common to a particular area or scene. If it inspires him, he will take a photo, and share it with others who may find as much inspiration as he did.

Scott is also aware of people who try hard to be spotted by him. I brought a friend with me, and she (Juliet) commented on some of the over the top clothing on display at the gathering, as if they expected Scott to stop what he was doing and take them out to Bloor Street for an impromptu photo shoot. I guess that's just how they chose to express themselves that day. I was fine wearing my Moose Jaw T-Shirt and an old pair of jeans and sneakers.


Choosing the right lens


Sports Radio: One of the inspirations for his blog.


I did manage to shake Scott's hand, and let him know that I particularly enjoyed his photos from Australia and Brooklyn. I also got him to take a quick picture with me. I sharing pics of myself on the net, so I decided not to post it. Trust me, you're not missing much.


The Sartorialist is available August 12 in paperback, and August 26 in Limited Edition Hardcover.



No comments: