Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Bonita Applebum (UK 12" Mix)




I almost gave up on my search to find this song. I was ready to concede that it was only a figment of my imagination, but the magic of the internet has brought it to me.

The first (and only) time I heard it on the radio, was probably some time in the early 90s. Saturday afternoon sit-ins, listening to the Powermove Show with DJX. I was half asleep when it came on, and probably didn't record it because it sounds very similar to the album version, but with an extended intro.

The midpoint of the song got my attention. I expected it to end, but in comes a Grace Jones sample, some fucking noises, and then some loud drums. All of a sudden the lyrics from the Hootie Remix comes in, and the song continues.

I thought it was the dopest shit ever, but unfortunately, I was too lazy to hit the record button. I fell asleep soon thereafter, and I never heard this remix again...until today.

Thanks to John Book, for flexing his Google skills.


Bonita Applebum (UK 12" Mix) [remixed by CJ Mackintosh]

2 comments:

Djgriff said...

I was thinking the same thing till i herd it today on Surius Radio & then a did a Google search. What are the odds a month later.

laurent sauvagnac said...

GREAT !
i used 2 listen to that remix maybe 16 years ago !! i NEVER found it again !!
thanx a lot it's a pleasure to listen 2 this BEST version of bonita applebum

i'm a FAN of TCQ
it's the best hiphop i just love their swing.
ebent q tip alone is still an amazing artist.
thanx a lot to have found this great remix for us !
Laurentsauvagnac@gmail.com