Monday, December 26, 2011

2011 Year In Review: Freestyle Fellowship



gri-ot [gree-oh]
noun
a member of a hereditary caste among the peoples of western Africa whose function is to keep an oral history of the tribe or village and to entertain with stories, poems, songs, dances, etc.

I have a new found appreciation for Freestyle Fellowship after hearing their 2011 release, The Promise. Spider Jerusalem of The HedRush joins me to discuss the west coast based collective, their roots in the early 90s L.A. hip hop scene, and our thoughts on the new album.



Download: Link
Subscribe via iTunes: Link

I may do a couple more of these if I can find willing participants, and not allow myself to be overcome by 'cannolongerbebotheredness.'

Watch this doc: This Is The Life - Ava DuVernay
Buy this album: Freestyle Fellowship - The Promise

No comments: