Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Fu-Schnickins - Check It Out

Haven't heard this song in a long time. It just came up during an itunes shuffle, and there were a few things that bothered me about it. Boredom has led me to sharing some of my issues with this track.



This track is a perfect example of when bringing your boys to the studio goes bad. I really don't want to count, but there's about 3 or 4 "Mcs" on this track who sound the same. Who are these people?

I think they also could have done a better job choosing the order in which the Mcs appear. Having Moc early in the track is probably the best. I would move him to the 2nd or 3rd spot, because the first verse is usually a memorable one and, well...I think most of us would rather forget Moc Fu.

Poc Fu never bothered me, so I'm fine with where he's placed on this track (after the first refrain). Not a lyrical giant, but he's got a decent voice.

Dres sounds so out of place on this track. Not his best work, but he still outclasses everyone here. Not sure why they buried him in the middle of this track. He really should have had the final verse, which is usually reserved for the home run verse.

Chip Fu bats cleanup here. He does his thing stylistically I suppose, but usually you want the final verse to be memorable -- filled with one liners you'll be repeating for months or years. You're not going to get it here because you can barely understand a word he's saying.

And...uhm...that's all I got.

*delete*

2 comments:

Mo' Codenames said...

He really should have had the final verse, which is usually reserved for the home run verse.

Better still, it should've just been a Black Sheep song.

Speaking of which, Pass The 40 is one of the best examples of a letting-whoever-happens-to-be-in-the-studio-at-the-time posse track.

Boothe said...

That song definitely came to mind while writing this post.

"Dave GossETT, yes I rock IT"