Saturday, August 1, 2009

Favorite Rappers: Baatin

"I hope you're feeling better now; hold tight"


Baatin, Elzhi and T3

I'm not going to pretend that I was a big Slum Village fan, because I wasn't. While I appreciated some of their early releases, and the free form writing approach they took when crafting their music, they always remained on the periphery of my "favorite groups" circle.

Baatin, a member of the group passed away yesterday. He was not on my original list of favorite rappers, but I decided to make a post in his honor because he exhibits some of the traits that are common in a lot of my favorites.

The first track I heard him on was Hold Tight, by Slum Village. Q-Tip, a seasoned veteran at this point, drops a very dramatic verse, but if you speak to fans of the group or the song, some might tell you that Baatin actually had the most memorable verse on the track. Quite the accomplishment due to the fact that Q-Tip was a beloved veteran, and the kids from Detroit were just starting their journey into the public consciousness. His words "I'm outta this" in particular are quite haunting now.

Slum Village - Hold Tight Remix (featuring Q-Tip)


As stated earlier, I'm not a huge fan of the group, so I can't cite specific references in terms of songs and verses, but when I did listen to SV tracks I always paid close attention to Baatin. I enjoyed his unpredictability, and he always kept things interesting with his usage of voice, words and delivery.

Slum Village - Fall In Love


Titus "Baatin" Glover passed away July 31, 2009 at the age of 35

2 comments:

MF said...

I would agree with all this.

Not a massive S.V fan either (good background music to casually vibe to but not exactly the most engaging group) but Baatin definately had a certain style which made your ears prick up whenever a verse of his came on.

Word to Rebecca too, btw. My fav' pre-Hollywood Hitch' flick.

Boothe (All Things) said...

I downloaded some SV tracks, and I think I realized (or remembered) what it is I didn't like about the group.

It's definitely T3. Something about that dude's voice just annoys. Especially when he's doing ad-libs. It sounds so try hard.