Sunday, February 6, 2011

Never Let Me Go (Mark Romanek, 2010)



This picture (sorta) encapsulates everything you need to know about the movie.

1. There's a lot of nice Fall/Winter gear.
2. Carey Mulligan is one of the finest young actors out there.

This movie didn't entirely work for me. It's a beautifully shot science fiction drama, and I'm certain the source material is an excellent read, but the adaptation by Alex Garland (not my favorite screenwriter) doesn't quite succeed.

I had a little trouble buying into this love triangle for the ages. With a running time of 103 minutes, there isn't much time to properly explore these relationships. The audience is pretty much asked to buy into it with the sharing of a gift, and a kiss on park bench. I also found myself not caring much for the characters when portrayed by child actors. 30 minutes later when the lead actors appear, I felt the need to start over and reestablish connections with the characters.

If you're at all interested in this story and the world presented within it, I would probably recommend reading the book. I think I'll do so myself in the near future.

Never Let Me Go: Trailer

No comments: