Thursday, February 28, 2013

Boogiemonsters - Ali & The Devil (Demo)

My mother is a woman of faith.

Growing up, she never pushed religion on us, but throughout our apartment you could always find pamphlets, framed scriptures, and multiple copies of the bible. As a child, I loved reading, and knowing this my mother purchased a book of illustrated bible stories. Naturally, I ate it all up. The stories were fascinating, and the few times I did attend Sunday school, I had a sliver of understanding of the lessons being told. There is one thing however that I will never forget about that book of bible stories, and that's how terrifying some of the imagery was. The stories were written for children, but the illustrations looked like this:

Sodom and Gomorrah

or this;

Jonah
  
the stuff of nightmares.

I bring this up because the first time I heard Riders of the Storm: The Underwater Album by the Boogiemonsters (1994), those childhood memories resurfaced. Some of the lyrics and music in songs like Juggernauts, and Mark of the Beast sent chills down my spine. Not to mention Old Man Jacob's Well, which  is on a short list of creepiest hip hop songs ever. 

A little over a week ago, Vex (from the Boogiemonsters) posted a link on his twitter, a YouTube video containing unreleased music from their debut album. Again, the lyrics, guitar, bassline...those bible stories have me scarred me for life. 




"Would you rather be in paradise, or these ruins?"

No comments: